Monday, December 3, 2012

I Bleed Bleu!



When I first arrived to Dillard University I didn’t know what to think. I had never been to a historically black college before. I had only seen how it was on movies. Astonishingly, it was just like it was on the movies; and I’ve grown to like it. The first week was called SOAR week. It was an introduction week for the entire freshman to meet each other and the SOAR leaders. We did various activities to bring our class together and learn about it each. The second week was when the unexpected happened. The school evacuated from Dillard to Shreveport, LA due to hurricane Issac. We evacuated to Centenary College and slept on cots for a whole week with 3 days’ worth of clothes. It was definitely a life-changing experience for me; being from California we don’t have to worry about hurricanes. On the other hand it gave me a chance to meet students who I would have never talked to. The bonds I made at Centenary will always be strong. I can pretty much say I’m adjusted to my school. I have joined the track team; and practice is very strenuous but it’s fun to push myself and work hard. I love the fact that I have my own apartment instead of dorms. I’m looking forward to when final grades come out and I can show my family how hard I’ve been working. I am doing well in all of my classes except Biology. Biology goes over my head and I find it challenging, but I have started going to the science lab for tutoring and I plan to work hard in it. I look forward to seeing how our basketball team is also. After being here for a little over a month, I can honestly say I’m glad I came to this school and I enjoy being a Bleu Devil and I plan to make a name for myself here and do great things.

-Courtney, Dillard University '16

No comments:

Post a Comment